Archive for February, 2012
Disappears, Lower Dens, Stagnant Pools, Blonde Redhead, Deep Cut & more
An online breach at our host meant this week’s mix is about a week behind. The tracks are still blistering, but the newer ones are – well, less new than usual.
What music are you digging these days?
1. The History Of Colour TV – I Knew It Was Wrong But I Did It Anyway
Dramatic opening chord gives way to shoegaze pop goodness.
3. White Rabbits – Heavy Metal
Chillwave funk with fabulous stabs of guitar.
4. Florence + The Machine – No Light No Light (Spector Ryan Gosling Remix)
I haven’t loved F+TM, but this production brings texture and a bit of drama, kind of like Austra. Not too familiar with the remixer, but sounds like that should change.
5. The Naked And The Famous – No Way
There’s freezing rain outside, but there are signs it’s letting up.
6. Now, Now – School Friends
Great new track from this wistful band. You can’t help but hang on the singer’s every word. Look for it in March on new album Threads.
7. Sea Oleena – Swimming Story
Like an illicit nighttime dip in a candle-lit pool. Captivating. And from Canada!
9. Conduits – Top Of The Hill
Omaha represent! Can’t wait to hear more from this band.
10. Disappears – Replicate
Boom! They’re back. Praise them…that is all.
11. Fields Of Industry – The Sum
Track from a few years back that needed to be heard.
12. Lower Dens – Brains
Second return to form this episode! Love this dense, tense track as it speeds towards an uncertain ending. “Don’t be a friend…”
13. Stephen Paul Smoker – Green City
Fabulously weird psych blues.
14. R.M. Hendrix – Last Year’s Hopes Are Playing Through The Wall
Engrossing swirling psychedelia.
15. Stagnant Pools – Consistency
Track of the week. If you need a shot of slacker shoegaze rock and roll, look no further.
16. Asalto al Parque Zoológico – Warn You
Still carrying the flame for the classic shoegaze sound!
17. HEHFU – Come Home
Short burst from the Come Home EP.
18. Blonde Redhead – Big Song
Sometimes, choruses need only consist of one vowel.