Posts Tagged ‘Deep Cut’
Disappears, Lower Dens, Stagnant Pools, Blonde Redhead, Deep Cut & more
An online breach at our host meant this week’s mix is about a week behind. The tracks are still blistering, but the newer ones are – well, less new than usual.
What music are you digging these days?
1. The History Of Colour TV – I Knew It Was Wrong But I Did It Anyway
Dramatic opening chord gives way to shoegaze pop goodness.
3. White Rabbits – Heavy Metal
Chillwave funk with fabulous stabs of guitar.
4. Florence + The Machine – No Light No Light (Spector Ryan Gosling Remix)
I haven’t loved F+TM, but this production brings texture and a bit of drama, kind of like Austra. Not too familiar with the remixer, but sounds like that should change.
5. The Naked And The Famous – No Way
There’s freezing rain outside, but there are signs it’s letting up.
6. Now, Now – School Friends
Great new track from this wistful band. You can’t help but hang on the singer’s every word. Look for it in March on new album Threads.
7. Sea Oleena – Swimming Story
Like an illicit nighttime dip in a candle-lit pool. Captivating. And from Canada!
9. Conduits – Top Of The Hill
Omaha represent! Can’t wait to hear more from this band.
10. Disappears – Replicate
Boom! They’re back. Praise them…that is all.
11. Fields Of Industry – The Sum
Track from a few years back that needed to be heard.
12. Lower Dens – Brains
Second return to form this episode! Love this dense, tense track as it speeds towards an uncertain ending. “Don’t be a friend…”
13. Stephen Paul Smoker – Green City
Fabulously weird psych blues.
14. R.M. Hendrix – Last Year’s Hopes Are Playing Through The Wall
Engrossing swirling psychedelia.
15. Stagnant Pools – Consistency
Track of the week. If you need a shot of slacker shoegaze rock and roll, look no further.
16. Asalto al Parque Zoológico – Warn You
Still carrying the flame for the classic shoegaze sound!
17. HEHFU – Come Home
Short burst from the Come Home EP.
18. Blonde Redhead – Big Song
Sometimes, choruses need only consist of one vowel.
Crash City Saints, Miracle Fortress, Secret Colours, The Brother Kite, Deep Cut & more
1. Deep Cut – Makes Me Wanna
London crew kicks things off with some fist pumping rock and roll.
2. Crash City Saints – Fuck And Destroy
Chiming shoegaze that’s much sweeter than the title suggests.
3. Regina – Jos Et Sä Soita
They’re Finnish, but the sound is straight up groovy J-pop meets shoegaze.
4. Shelby – The Wait
Hooks aplenty on this indie rock tune. Just discovered them recently.
5. The Brother Kite – Death Ray
Shoegaze overload interspersed with great melodic vocals.
6. Christiana – Pretend
Tune from defunct Canadian band that somehow reminds me of a free ride down a seaside highway.
7. Skull Defekts – Fragrant Nimbus
8. Helium – Lady Of The Fire
Boston-based Matador 90s heroes drop some psych sitar from The Magic City.
9. Run Run Run – Drizzle
Great dark power pop out of LA.
10. Secret Colours – Follow The Drone
This is drone rock for BRMC fans. Bonus points for being from Chicago yet using English/Canadian spelling.
11. Shy – Shift
12. Jennifer Castle – Misguided
Beautiful, ethereal float-down-a-river experience from Castlemusic.
13. Efrim Menuck – Our Lady of Parc Extension and Her Munificent Sorrows
Godspeed mainman delivers a singalong from the planet Venus.
14. The Besnard Lakes – On Bedford and Grand
Last podcast I referenced them, so here’s the real deal from their first album. Fantastic.
15. Miracle Fortress – Seabird
Poppy chillwave meets Animal Collective with soul: “Somebody deliver the truth to me…”
16. Mode Moderne – Real Goths
Rainy day, 80s influenced chillwave out of Toronto. Lovely mood here and good lyrics: “I’ve got the body of a man who reads poetry…”
17. Seavault – Cornfields
Moody electronic drone pop tune out of the UK.
18. Loney Dear – Take My Hand
Near instrumental that would be perfect for the closing scene and credits of virtually any film. Surprised to learn these guys are Swedish and not Canadian.