Posts Tagged ‘podcast’
Lumerians, Stagnant Pools, Sunsplit, Airwaves, The Lassie Foundation & more.
The amount of amazing new tunes has slowed a little bit, so we’re playing some of the great stuff kicking around the iPod.
1. Stagnant Pools – Dead Sailor
Walls of guitar by a band that is getting more essential with each new release.
2. The Creakies – Arnold’s Song
Can’t remember the last time we’ve featured a Seattle band as good as these guys.
3. The Poumons – Rock And Roll City
I’d always associated this band with the 90s Halifax Pop Explosion. But seems they’re from Windsor?
4. The Clean – Drawing To A Hole
Flying Nun…that is all.
6. Neutral Milk Hotel – Ghost
Sublime, passionate indie rock taken from one of my fave albums of all time, In The Aeroplane, Over The Sea.
7. Airwaves – Keys
Slowing it down a bit with some midtempo Brooklyn indie rock.
8. Built To Spill – Carry The Zero
Fantastic songwriting, please meet smoking playing. Absolutely incendiary.
9. The Raconteurs – Intimate Secretary
Not a typical band to feature for a S2 mix, but this is pretty trippy business.
10. Chapterhouse – Greater Power
Overlooked Blood Music shoegaze anthem.
12. The Lassie Foundation – Three Wheels
Sadly defunct band dropped this shoegaze nugget on Jetstreams a few years back.
14. Maps – Elouise
I can’t help but return to the awesomeness of We Can Create: “Hypocrites can’t look me in the eye.”
15. Caribou – I’ve Live On A Dirt Road All My Life
Fantastic floating-in-space electronic psychedelia.
16. Quickspace – Coca Lola
This is all krautrock until you get to the gonzo chorus. It’ll get in ya.
18. Lumerians – Track 1
There was no question this voodoo psych groove is our song of the week. Strongly recommend you drop it at a party and see what happens…
Crocodiles, Handsome Furs, Here We Go Magic, Garbage, pacificUV & more
Things are heating up.
1. Here We Go Magic – How Do I Know
Starting with a fix of glorious twee indie pop.
2. Crocodiles – Endless Flowers
Lots of well-deserved buzz about this shoegaze garage band. Looking forward to release of Endless Flowers next month.
3. Zero Toy – Michael
Gotta love the reverb on the guitar here. Gimme L.A. indie rock!
4. Stagnant Pools – Nothing To Do
Submerged shoegaze off Real Lies.
7. 2PPM – Movies Without Sound
Sounds like a jam session at 3 a.m. in an abandoned warehouse. Their moniker stands for “two people playing music.”
8. Monoland – Alba
Classic shoegaze sound from Manouva.
10. The New Year – The Block That Doesn’t Exist
Neurotic lo-fi of the billiantly-named Newness Ends album.
11. Meat Puppets – Severed Goddess Hand
I’ve been wanting to play this Too High To Die song here for years. Enjoy the sunburnt psych funk.
12. Damien Jurado – Reel To Reel
Second track we’ve played from the sublime and soulful Maraqopa.
13. Airiel – Funerals
More stratospheric shoegaze from latest EP Kid Games.
16. Ladyhawke – Black, White and Blue (All Saints basement session)
Nice groovy pop track with bouncy chorus.
17. School Of Seven Bells – When You Sing
Lose yourself in this monster Ghost Story track.
18. Handsome Furs – Dead + Rural
Chrome Waves tells me this Wolf Parade spinoff has called it a day. Here’s a fitting farwell. On a related note, it appears that Dan Boeckner has a new band with Britt Daniel of Spoon and Sam Brown of New Bomb Turks.
La Sera, PS I Love You, R.M. Hendrix, Death Valley Sleepers, Craft Spells & more
Bring on the long weekend.
1. PS I Love You – Princess Towers
Kick. Out. The. Jams. Their new album Death Dreams just blows the doors off. More coming from that album later.
2. Sixteen Deluxe – Happy Song
2+ minutes of weekend shenanigans from The Pilot Knob EP.
3. Free Electric State – All Done Before
Monumental track from album of (nearly) the same name.
5. R.M. Hendrix – Global Affairs / Crack The Code
And now for some claustrophobic, crooning indie rock.
6. Cruyff In The Bedroom – Carillon Blue
Starting to slow it down with this almost-instrumental. Great build at the end.
7. Mercury Rev – Frittering
When MR opened for The Hives (don’t judge) in Toronto back in the day, the tremendous volume pinned most attendees to the sides and rear of the venue. After that, the Hives’ performance band came off as raucous as Esquivel. I wish the Rev had played this tune from Yerself Is Steam.
8. Gills – Empire of Sweat
Midtempo grungy rock and roll. Also one of the few live tracks we play here.
9. Mirror Mirror – The Chamber
Dig this strumming, stirring instrumental.
10. Death Valley Sleepers – Left Me High
Like a lot of this band’s stuff, but this track…you’re loving the verses, then the choruses hit you. Perfect.
11. First Love, Last Rites – Walk You Home
Now we bring the power pop out of Sweden.
12. Royal Headache – Down The Headline
Fantastic. The verses are beat nuggets, but the chorus is all drive-ins and sock hops.
13. La Sera – Break My Heart
Almost too perfect punky punchy pop from their latest Sees The Light.
14. Craft Spells – Still Left With Me
Soundtrack to dancing around your basement clad in nothing but an oversized sweater.
17. Little Chords – Remember
Vancouver crew drop some drifting, beautiful lo-fi: “I fell asleep on a cloudy beach, it was early in the afternoon…” And with that, we’re off into the sunset.
Sennen, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Ghost Box Orchestra, Inca Gold, The Cult Of Dom Keller & more
This week’s mix is inspired by the title and artwork of the latest Sennen album.
1. Black Tamborine – I Want You Around
Legendary band regroup for Ramones tribute.
2. Roomrunner – Disintegrate
A must for lovers of layers of distorted, slightly out of tune guitars.
3. Starfire Connective Sound – A (Long) Road From Earth To Sky
Brazil band drop sitar drone over guitars and breakbeats.
4. Brian Jonestown Massacre – The Clouds Are Lies
I loved “Illuminomi” when I first heard it but figured it would be a one-off on their latest Aufheben. The whole album’s got that groovy acoustic dark hippie vibe! Dig the atmostpherics on this track.
8. Neil Young – Change Your Mind
It’s dark and late at night in your dorm room. The DJ of the local classic rock station comes on, saying he wants to play a track from the new Neil Young record that just came out that day. You’re not a big Neil fan but you keep it on as background music. After about three minutes you stop what you’re doing and listen. Holy crap…this is Neil Young? You stand transfixed for another nine minutes…
9. Chad VanGaalen – Red Blood
Some chilling, passionate folk rock from Infiniheart that I thought would be perfect about here.
10. Woods – Wind Was The Wine
Rimshots, cool guitar and great voclal melodies from Brooklyn.
13. Moby – Posion Tree (David Lynch remix)
Brooding beats and piano chords punctuated by some disjointed female cries. Even though it’s repetitive it seems way less than its seven-minute running time.
14. Inca Gold – Atom
“Ooo ooo ooo oooh!” Here’s to chillwave with hooks!
15. Sennen – St. Jude
Track of the week comes from their latest album Lost Harmony. It’s a big departure from their earlier psych shoegaze stuff.
The Dandy Warhols, Arc In Round, Yuck, The Auteurs, Flavor Crystals & more
1. Terror At Tampa Bay – Indigo Cabana
Getting started with a bit of a buried treasure from 1988.
2. Arches – Enough
Meshes nicely with some Philly psych pop, recorded some 25 years later.
4. The Auteurs – Light Aircraft On Fire
The Britpoppers’ track popped up on my iPod recently, and I fit in its glammy fuzz here.
5. Is/Is – Lie Awake
Love how this simple grungy shoegaze track just washes over you.
7. The Dandy Warhols – Slide
Not necessarily a full return to form, but nice to see deep tracks like this on their latest, This Machine.
9. Still Caves – Rainy Beach
Portland representing twice this week, but this one trumps The Dandys in the drone psych department. Love the screaming chorus.
10. The Jesus and Mary Chain – Catchfire
Just announced: They’re coming. To Toronto. August 3, 2012.
11. Black Market Karma – The Way It Was
This London psych band has tons of great tunes like this on their latest, Comatose.
12. Boy – Up In This Town
An oldie…haven’t heard much from this Yukon boy since 2004’s pretty slamming Every Page You Turn album.
13. The Laurels – Tidal Wave
Dig yourself some punchy Australian shoegaze.
15. Flavor Crystals – Mirror Chop
Hm, whatever can this song be about? Read Nile Rodgers excellent biography if you’re still in the dark. In other news, the murky voodoo here is getting me really psyched for Three.
16. I Can Chase Dragons! – From The Valley To The High Ground
Weird but wonderful chillwave from the interesting Expansión.
17. The Consoliation Project – We Are Staring In The Sun
The prolific Ron Cavagnaro knows how to arrange a dream pop stunner.