Posts Tagged ‘The Dandy Warhols’
Lumerians, Stagnant Pools, Sunsplit, Airwaves, The Lassie Foundation & more.
The amount of amazing new tunes has slowed a little bit, so we’re playing some of the great stuff kicking around the iPod.
1. Stagnant Pools – Dead Sailor
Walls of guitar by a band that is getting more essential with each new release.
2. The Creakies – Arnold’s Song
Can’t remember the last time we’ve featured a Seattle band as good as these guys.
3. The Poumons – Rock And Roll City
I’d always associated this band with the 90s Halifax Pop Explosion. But seems they’re from Windsor?
4. The Clean – Drawing To A Hole
Flying Nun…that is all.
6. Neutral Milk Hotel – Ghost
Sublime, passionate indie rock taken from one of my fave albums of all time, In The Aeroplane, Over The Sea.
7. Airwaves – Keys
Slowing it down a bit with some midtempo Brooklyn indie rock.
8. Built To Spill – Carry The Zero
Fantastic songwriting, please meet smoking playing. Absolutely incendiary.
9. The Raconteurs – Intimate Secretary
Not a typical band to feature for a S2 mix, but this is pretty trippy business.
10. Chapterhouse – Greater Power
Overlooked Blood Music shoegaze anthem.
12. The Lassie Foundation – Three Wheels
Sadly defunct band dropped this shoegaze nugget on Jetstreams a few years back.
14. Maps – Elouise
I can’t help but return to the awesomeness of We Can Create: “Hypocrites can’t look me in the eye.”
15. Caribou – I’ve Live On A Dirt Road All My Life
Fantastic floating-in-space electronic psychedelia.
16. Quickspace – Coca Lola
This is all krautrock until you get to the gonzo chorus. It’ll get in ya.
18. Lumerians – Track 1
There was no question this voodoo psych groove is our song of the week. Strongly recommend you drop it at a party and see what happens…
The Dandy Warhols, Arc In Round, Yuck, The Auteurs, Flavor Crystals & more
1. Terror At Tampa Bay – Indigo Cabana
Getting started with a bit of a buried treasure from 1988.
2. Arches – Enough
Meshes nicely with some Philly psych pop, recorded some 25 years later.
4. The Auteurs – Light Aircraft On Fire
The Britpoppers’ track popped up on my iPod recently, and I fit in its glammy fuzz here.
5. Is/Is – Lie Awake
Love how this simple grungy shoegaze track just washes over you.
7. The Dandy Warhols – Slide
Not necessarily a full return to form, but nice to see deep tracks like this on their latest, This Machine.
9. Still Caves – Rainy Beach
Portland representing twice this week, but this one trumps The Dandys in the drone psych department. Love the screaming chorus.
10. The Jesus and Mary Chain – Catchfire
Just announced: They’re coming. To Toronto. August 3, 2012.
11. Black Market Karma – The Way It Was
This London psych band has tons of great tunes like this on their latest, Comatose.
12. Boy – Up In This Town
An oldie…haven’t heard much from this Yukon boy since 2004’s pretty slamming Every Page You Turn album.
13. The Laurels – Tidal Wave
Dig yourself some punchy Australian shoegaze.
15. Flavor Crystals – Mirror Chop
Hm, whatever can this song be about? Read Nile Rodgers excellent biography if you’re still in the dark. In other news, the murky voodoo here is getting me really psyched for Three.
16. I Can Chase Dragons! – From The Valley To The High Ground
Weird but wonderful chillwave from the interesting Expansión.
17. The Consoliation Project – We Are Staring In The Sun
The prolific Ron Cavagnaro knows how to arrange a dream pop stunner.
The Sky Drops, Skylar Grey, Paquin, Superhumanoids, Bloody Knives & more
1. Zombie Girlfriend – Driving Song
Perfectly titled opener from the Baja, Hungary band.
2. Odonis Odonis – Mr. Smith
My fellow Torontonians drop some ecstatic post punk a roll.
3. Bloody Knives – Whatever You Want
Airy Austin dreamy shoegaze.
4. Caged Animals – Girls On Medication
Love this wiry track and the buzzsaw guitars.
5. Swervedriver – Blowin’ Cool
In honour of them hitting town last weekend, here’s a gem from Mezcal Head.
6. The Sky Drops – Cut That Corner
Love listening to whatever they put out. Think The Posies with more edge. Am I the first to make this comparison?
7. Drowner – Written
Melancholic, beautiful Cocteau Twins inspired classic shoegaze. Fantastic vocals and choruses. “When I see your face….”
8. Paquin – Tether
New Zealand band drops this slice of shoaring shoegaze.
9. Skylar Grey – Dance Without You
Huge, distorted tune over thumping beats. This one’s a sneak peek of her upcoming album.
10. The Fauns – 1991
Just gorgeous shoegaze classic off their seminal self-titled album. A few weeks back they put out this fun video to update their fans.
11. The Stone Roses – I Wanna Be Adored
Found that the lead-off track to their a truly great album slots in nicely here.
12. Flying Saucer Attack – Wish
Running down more classics, this time a 1994 shimmering psychedelic beauty.
13. The Dandy Warhols – Insincere
Always loved the floating in space vibe from this one, taken from Welcome To The Monkey House.
14. Silver Swans – Mother Of Pearl
Light electronic pop tune with a hint of 60’s girl group.
15. Superhumanoids – Mikelah
16. Starfire Connective Sound – Electric Whore
Brazil band drops some mysterious, dark techno.
Dum Dum Girls, The Laurels, Wire, Music For Headphones, Stars & more
1. Dum Dum Girls – He Gets Me High
New track drops timeless power pop with a garage twist. Reminds me of classic Go-Go’s.
2. Dirty Beaches – Sweet 17
3. The Spyrals – Love Me Too
Organ-drenched dark psych.
4. The Laurels – Turn On Your Mind
Australians drop some heavy, going-up-the-Mekong drone rock.
5. The Sadies – Another Day Again
Hillbilly freakout from Canadian alt-country masters. This one’s off 2010’s Darker Circles. Check out their video using footage from The Hilarious House of Frightenstein.
6. Wire – Two Minutes
I love it when pioneers return to show the kids how it’s done. 120 seconds of post punk assault with spoken word off their newest, Red Barked Tree.
7. Shark? – Tiny Violin
Gun Club homage with more buzzsaw guitars: “My love is big, but my heart is small.”
8. Pale Saints – Time Thief
Quiet/loud shoegaze from The Comforts Of Madness.
9. The Dandy Warhols – Ride
Mighty wah-wah from Courtney & co’s first album. Is this a tribute to the band Ride?
10. The Avalanche – Throw Away The Rest
Melodic shoegaze from Norway.
11. Orange Blossom Flyover – Someone Like You
Moody, murky shoegaze from Massachusetts. Vocalist sounds like Badly Drawn Boy – moonlighting?
12. Mind Cinema – Lovesick High
Californians drop some dreamy mellow chillwave that builds brilliantly.
13. Music For Headphones – 123Go!!!
Motorik monster off the excellent Life.In.Mono EP.
14. Stars – Ageless Beauty
15. Speed Skating – Polar Bear
Near-epic hyper-melodic pop with a hint of mystery.
16. Death And Vanilla – Run Rabbit Run
Nice one by band with a clear love of Broadcast.
17. Low – Step
This intense, lovely tune’s from the brilliant The Great Destroyer. Their new album is coming out soon, and they’ve got a track available on their site.
18. Lanterna – Collossus
Heavy, slow strummed guitar for three-plus minutes. That’s all you get, so just let it in.
19. Sleep Party People – A Dark God Heart
Lullabye for the weary time traveller. Pick this one up here.