Posts Tagged ‘The Nocturnes’
Disappears, Lower Dens, Stagnant Pools, Blonde Redhead, Deep Cut & more
An online breach at our host meant this week’s mix is about a week behind. The tracks are still blistering, but the newer ones are – well, less new than usual.
What music are you digging these days?
1. The History Of Colour TV – I Knew It Was Wrong But I Did It Anyway
Dramatic opening chord gives way to shoegaze pop goodness.
3. White Rabbits – Heavy Metal
Chillwave funk with fabulous stabs of guitar.
4. Florence + The Machine – No Light No Light (Spector Ryan Gosling Remix)
I haven’t loved F+TM, but this production brings texture and a bit of drama, kind of like Austra. Not too familiar with the remixer, but sounds like that should change.
5. The Naked And The Famous – No Way
There’s freezing rain outside, but there are signs it’s letting up.
6. Now, Now – School Friends
Great new track from this wistful band. You can’t help but hang on the singer’s every word. Look for it in March on new album Threads.
7. Sea Oleena – Swimming Story
Like an illicit nighttime dip in a candle-lit pool. Captivating. And from Canada!
9. Conduits – Top Of The Hill
Omaha represent! Can’t wait to hear more from this band.
10. Disappears – Replicate
Boom! They’re back. Praise them…that is all.
11. Fields Of Industry – The Sum
Track from a few years back that needed to be heard.
12. Lower Dens – Brains
Second return to form this episode! Love this dense, tense track as it speeds towards an uncertain ending. “Don’t be a friend…”
13. Stephen Paul Smoker – Green City
Fabulously weird psych blues.
14. R.M. Hendrix – Last Year’s Hopes Are Playing Through The Wall
Engrossing swirling psychedelia.
15. Stagnant Pools – Consistency
Track of the week. If you need a shot of slacker shoegaze rock and roll, look no further.
16. Asalto al Parque Zoológico – Warn You
Still carrying the flame for the classic shoegaze sound!
17. HEHFU – Come Home
Short burst from the Come Home EP.
18. Blonde Redhead – Big Song
Sometimes, choruses need only consist of one vowel.
Whirr, Ringo Deathstarr, Mood Rings, Veronica Falls, Odonis Odonis & more
1. Pujol – Mayday
Brash, garage rock and roll that shakes up the core formula.
2. We Walk In Straight Lines – War(m)
Urgent, passionate indie rock that lands just on the rights side of emo.
3. Whirr – JuneBouvier
Lovely shoegaze with great washes of guitar and vocals.
4. Holy Stain – Explosion
Bristol crew drop a scorching shoezage tune off free EP Sun Zoo.
6. R.M. Hendrix – Ivorine and Chai (Our Sanguine Holiday Mix)
Straight up transcendant shoegaze from Cambridge, MA.
7. Luna – Rollercoaster
Driving riff and drumming that doesn’t even take a break for a chorus! Listen carefully for the cool lead guitar overtop…almost a counter-melody.
8. Beaches – Free Way
Damn I love Sonic Youth, even 25 years later and from Australia. That is all.
9. Pantone – Dream For Hours
Glorious bass-heavy indie rock off Claire’s Several Bands Galore. Don’t blink or it will be over.
10. Mood Rings – Exorcised Painting
For lack of a better adjective, this is fantastic “moody” reverb-drenched power pop.
13. Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Little Blu House
And down comes the veil. Dayrtotter session takes us up the river.
14. Odonis Odonis – Highnote
Tune of the week. Totally unclassifiable, but catchy and cool. Put your sunglasses on. Proud to say they’re from Toronto, too.
16. Chapel Club – The Shore
Haunted lament for what’s been lost, recorded at Big Orange Studios. Who said there are no great songs anymore?
17. The Nocturnes – Love
Hard to describe this one – sadcore?