Posts Tagged ‘The Warlocks’
The Horrors, Los Planetas, Elika, Lab Partners, Brian Jonestown Massacre & more
Break out the beads and kaftans! We’re kicking things off with a journey into psych, followed by shoegaze classics and whatnot. Enjoy!
1. Lab Partners – Magnify
Dayton crew starts us off with some driving overloaded psych riffage.
2. The Tamborines – Black And Blue
Ringing indie pop outta London.
3. The Warlocks – The Dope Feels Good
Soundtrack to a “drug party scene” in a bad 60s movie shot in an LA flophouse.
4. Sleepmask – Black Depression Blues
5. The Red Plastic Buddha – Daisy Love
Chicago band strums some sunny sunshine psych-pop that brings BJM to mind. See below…
6. The Volta Sound – The Ride
Ohio band channelling some sweet Velvet Underground.
7. The Brian Jonestown Massacre – Illuminomi
A hippy gem off their latest compilation. Complete, with flutes, vibes, and- is Anton singing in French?
8. The Horrors – Endless Blue
And now for something different from the brilliant Skying album. Just wait for the killer dark shoegaze assault at 1:40.
9. The Voices – West Coast Turnaround
I live for murky extended jams like this one from their excellent Death Of A Lover’s Song.
10. Los Planetas – La Caja Del Diablo
Head trip from Granada, Spain.
11. Fleeting Joys – You Are The Darkness
Classic recent-wave shoegaze from this band’s great Occult Radiance.
12. Philip James – Nostalgia
Local boy mixes waves of guitar noise with lots of vocal reverb. Gets in your head, this one.
13. Chapterhouse – Pearl
One of the all-time shoegaze classics, and we wait 80 episodes to play it! Had to be done.
14. Slowdive – Good Day Sunshine
A mysterious, drifting tune very ahead of its time when it came out in ’93.
15. Elika – You’re Not Safe At All
Beautiful ballad with washes of guitar noise over gently insistent vocals.
16. Nowhere Again – Hardman Square